The Warnings of Misjudgment!
February 12, 2017 Series: Behold the Lamb: The Gospel According to John
Scripture: John 7:1–7:24
Setting the Scene:
- The Purpose of the Gospel
- The Context of the Chapter
- The Festival of Booths
The Brothers of Jesus (James & Jude):
I. The misjudgment of intentions (1-13)
A. The public display of miracles.
B. The root motivation of the heart.
C. The timing of Jesus
The Jewish leadership & the crowds:
II. The misjudgment of identity (14-24)
A. The source of teaching.
B. The authority of teaching.
C. The outcome of teaching.
Let us allow the truth of Scripture to guide our next steps.
- Psalm 26:2-3 -- Prove me, O LORD, and try me; test my heart and my mind. For your steadfast love is before my eyes, and I walk in your faithfulness.
- James 4:6-10 -- But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.
- 1 Corinthians 15:1-2 -- Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you-unless you believed in vain.