The Triumphant Work of Christ on the Cross
November 22, 2015 Series: 1 Peter: Exiled Faith
Scripture: 1 Peter 3:18–4:6
1Peter 3:18-4:6 cf. 2 Corinthians 2:14-17
The triumphant work of Christ in suffering:
1. Christ died. John 19:30; Luke 23:46; Mark 15:37; Matthew 27:50
2. Christ died once. Hebrews 7:26-27; Hebrews 9:25-28
3. Christ died once for our sins. 1 Peter 2:21-24; Romans 8
4. Christ died once for our sins as the perfect substitute. 2 Corinthians 5:21
5. Christ died once for our sins as the perfect substitute to bring us to God.
6. Christ rose from the dead.
7. Christ ascended to heaven. Acts 1
8. Christ is at the right hand of the Father. Hebrews 8:1, 12:1-3
9. ALL things are subject to Christ.
Understand verses 19-21 in light of the neighborhood:
~ Proclaimed to the spirits in prison? Connected to the days of Noah. 2 Peter 2:1-5; Jude 6-7; Colossians 2:14-15, he declared His triumph over the chained demons.
The application of the Triumphant work of Christ in the believer's life:
> Identify yourself with Christ! Ephesians 6
> Decisively break from sin! 4:1-6; Romans 5:22; Ephesians 4:17-24 think & act differently
> Don't waste your life!
> In other words, arm your mind to three dimensional thinking:
* Past perspective: Christ has accomplished His work
* Present prevention: Put off and put on
* Future preparation: live this life with eternity in view