Twelve Principles of Grace-Based Giving
February 9, 2014 Pastor: Dr. Wayne Vanderwier
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 8:1–9:15
2 Corinthians 8:1-7; 9:6-15
Desire to unite distant & diverse believers & to assist each other in the work that God has called us to do.
The strengthening grace of God is the desire & the ability to do the will of God.
Giving is an act of grace
1. Act of Worship (8:2)
a severe test of affliction
+ abundance of joy
+ extreme poverty
= a wealth of generosity
Which/Who was their focus?
2. Proportionate (8:3a)
3. Sacrificial (8:3b) There are tithes, offerings & sacrificial gifts.
4. Voluntary (8:3c)
5. A Privilege (8:4a)
6. Compassionate (8:4b) Not: what can my money buy for me? BUT how can this money serve God and others.
7. A response to the dedication of the heart (8:5) First you give YOU; then you give money.
8. Systematic (8:6) how do you decide when to pay and how much to pay for utilities?, food?, transportation? You plan & budget.
How do you decide when and how much to give to the Lord?
9. Spiritual (8:7)
10. Pleasurable (9:6-7) if your giving is or becomes a burden, check your heart!
11. Sufficient (9:8-12a)
If everyone obeys, the needs are met. Exodus 35-36
12. Worship-Producing (9:12b-14)
Thanks be to His for His inexpressible gift!!